Upcoming Guild and Guild Members Events Calendar
GAP Member Exhibit 2024 (Save the Date)
1 June 2024 @ 8:00 am – 21 July 2024 @ 5:00 pm EDT
The GAP Exhibition Committee is working on several opportunities in 2024 and 2025 for members to exhibit their talents in new and different areas of the country. The first upcoming exhibition will be held at View Arts Center in Old Forge, NY in New York’s Adirondack Park, a unique wilderness preserve larger than the state of Vermont. The dates for this exhibition will be June 1 to July 21, 2024, with an artists’ reception on Friday, June 7.
While the official call for entries is several months away, GAP members can begin now to consider creating works that reflect the exhibition theme of “Paper Trails.” Such creations could include anything one might experience on an Adirondack trail, including flora and fauna, lakes and rivers, hiking, canoeing, and rustic Adirondack lodges, etc.
While GAP members consider how to interpret the Adirondack environment in their art, they can also feel good about supporting a venue that takes its own environmental impact seriously.
In building its center for the arts in Old Forge, View sought to demonstrate a commitment to environmental stewardship that resulted in:
- A state-of-the-art Geothermal Energy System that is used to heat and cool the building.
- Geothermal pumps powered in part by photovoltaic panels on the roof.
- A 50% reduction in cost from conventional oil and gas systems.
- Silver LEED certification in 2011.
- The interior of the building features a two-story exposed timber reception area with large, bright galleries featuring hardwood flooring throughout. View partnered with the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) to develop the project to register it under the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Green Building rating system.
Guild of American Papercutters (GAP)